Wednesday, June 25, 2008


I've started realizing that the chronology of these posts don't make a lot of sense. Furthermore, these last postings are not very relevant to Play31's work. But I hope you will return: after the weekend I should have some jiucy stuff from Kailahun. I'm attending a traditional healing ceremony in one of the small communities adding footies to the list of methods for creating peace. Until then,




Monday 23rd:
Quiet day. Worked on paper on Salone and some trivial Play31 stuff. Went to the beach to greet Trina who’s been doing research on colonial laws here for the last month.
Then went home to fry plantains with Robert and Alhaji. Sweet, sweet plantains. Quiet day!

Tuesday 24th:
The rain came to Freetown. It’s just amazing. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. We made plans of going to Kailahun from Thursday and over the weekend to take part in a ceremony in one of the small communities. Along, of course, will come football assistance from Play31. G-D knows they deserve some leisure time out in those little rain-filled villages!

Wednesday 25th:
It officially rains!
Spend the day writing on my seemingly never-ending Salone article. There’s a lot to write about from this country. Most stunningly, I still think, are the stories of forgiveness that this country can boast about. I watched recordings from a previous ceremony where a woman told how the rebels had thrown her new-born baby into the river. At the same ceremony was the very man who snatched the baby out of her hands. They reconciled!
Have also been helping with a proposal for Fambul Tok. It looks good! And then finally I’m starting to realize that I’m leaving Salone in less than a week. Craziness!

No comments: